Custom Search

Friday, January 23, 2009

Mary Nwachukwu = legendary status in EMASS and country

Mary Nwachukwu.

No that isn't no typo trust me. I actually recall one night when I was working on the "hawk desk" (what we call the schools desk at the Boston Globe) and "Duffy" one of our copy editors asked if we spelled her name correctly in the roundup and started to spell it out, "M-W-A-C-H-U-K-W-U..."

"Wait...'M'? No it's 'N' not 'M'. Swear to God, hang on a sec, let me triple check that," I said.

I jumped out of my seat and fished in the monthly archives drawer and grabbed a newspaper with the then junior's last name starring in a headline about a week prior and spelled it out.

"N-W-A-C-H-U-K-W-U."

The copy editors and hawk desk were both shocked.

"How do you even remember that?" said "Beans" another one of the copy editors who was in the slot that night.

"I have a good memory I guess. I remember because I always seemed to get her coach calling in her stats to me every time."

Sorry to bore you with an inside story, but this girl is indeed legendary. The now senior has already committed to Boston College and was chased by Wake Forest and Maryland before making her final decision.

Nwachukwu has amassed over 1,100 career points while missing half of her freshman season due to a broken ankle 10 games in.

She is also rated the state's top player and No. 24 forward in the nation in the ESPNU HoopGurlz 100.

She has a fan basis at Dighton-Rehoboth, as she averages 23.7 points per game and averaged 29.9 last season.

Nwachukwu has been featured not only in her local newspaper such as the Tauton Gazette, The Sun Chronicle, Boston Globe, and Boston Herald, but also on a more national level in ESPN RISE Magazine and MaxPreps.com.

That is why she has earned "legendary status" here on East versus West.

No comments:

Post a Comment